STEPHEN PAUL BARNARD, J.D. is a graduate of the University of Arizona Law School. As a defense attorney he limits his practice to defending those involved in vehicular crimes with an emphasis on DUI's.
In his 30 years of experience he has represented clients in over 800 Jury Trials involving driving under the Influence of alcohol or drugs. These trials included charges such as DUI, Aggravated DUI, Aggravated Assault by Vehicle, Endangerment by Vehicle, Manslaughter, and Second Degree Murder by Vehicle.
Being charged with a DUI is taken very seriously by the prosecution in the State of Arizona. There is often no significant plea-bargaining or reduction of charges and sentencing. As such, it is Mr. Barnard's firm belief that the only proven way to obtain the best results for his client is to take their cases to trial and win. This is what he does best.
If a case does go to trial, Mr. Barnard's experience as an ex-prosecutor has provided him with the knowledge of how both sides will approach the case. He not only knows the best trial defense strategies, but is also familiar with how the prosecution will attempt to prove their case.
A successful defense requires the service of a skilled trial lawyer, associates, and a staff that has immediate access to the most up to date research materials and trial techniques. In accordance with these guidelines, this office thoroughly investigates the allegations made against our clients. We interview all significant witnesses in a case and make sure that their testimony is preserved. We obtain and review all written materials and prepare photographs, diagrams, charts, and other illustrations for trials. We submit motions directed at the exclusion of prejudicial or wrongfully obtained evidence in every case. And we employ investigators, accident re-constructionists, forensic experts, and jury selection experts as necessary for every client.
Mr. Barnard's expertise does not end at the trial level. He and his capable staff have been responsible for more than twenty precedent setting cases before the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Arizona. Our involvement in these cases have furthered your right to change judges in lower courts, your right to counsel during a DUI investigation, and your right to obtain independent evidence.
Mr. Barnard is an A rated lawyer by Martindale Hubble, a branch of the renowned legal publishing company Lexis Nexus. He is also a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the America Trial Lawyers Association, the American Bar Association, the National College for DUI Defense, and is on the board of governors for Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice where he heads the DUI committee.
He has participated in a variety of legal seminars as a featured speaker for the State Bar of Arizona, Pima County Bar Association, Maricopa County Bar Association, Maricopa Public Defenders Office, Arizona State University, as well as the 2nd and 3rd DUI Judicial Conferences.
On top of this he is the Co-founder and Monitor of the AACJ Aggressive Defense of the Accused Impaired Driver seminar, an annual teaching seminar for lawyers where nationally renowned DUI attorneys and experts gather to share their expertise. Mr. Barnard has hosted and helped run this seminar in Tucson, Arizona for 27 years.
He is admitted to practice in all courts in the state of Arizona, the Federal District Courts the Ninth Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
For more than 30 years Stephen Paul Barnard has been defending people accused of DUI and his trial experience is all but unmatched in the State of Arizona.If you or someone you know has been charged with a DUI or related offense please contact our office to make an appointment for a free consultation.
- Areas of Practice:
- Criminal Law
- Vehicular Offenses: Second Degree Murder; Manslaughter; Negligent Homicide;
- Aggravated Assault; Endangerment; Leaving the Scene
- Alcohol, Drugs, W/Driving: Aggravated DUI; DUI Extreme .15; DUI Per se .08;
- DUI; Drugs; Possession; Minor Consumption; Admin Per Se.
- Litigation Percentage:
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Bar Admissions:
- Arizona, 1971
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1971
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1976
- University of Arizona College of Law, Tucson, Arizona
- Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA, 1967
Major: Political Science
- Representative Cases:
- Cirrillo v. Houser, 2010 WL 2244110 (Supreme Court of Arizona 2010)
- State v. Cooperman, 232 Ariz. 347, 306 P.3d 4 (2013)
- State of AZ v. Marcos Canales, 222 AZ 493 217 P3d. 836 (Court of Appeals div 22009)
- State of AZ vs. Vincent Zaragoza, 221 AZ 49 209 P 3rd 629 (Supreme Court of Arizona 2009)
- State v. Sanchez, 967 P.2d 129 (Court of Appeals of Arizona, Division 2, Department A1998)
- State ex rel. Montgomery v. Harris (Shilgevorkyan), 234 Ariz. 343, 322 P.3d 160 (2014)
- Valenzuela v. Cowan, 877 P.2d 1342 (Court of Appeals of Arizona, Division 2, Department A1994)
- Ciulla v. Miller, 821 P.2d 201 (Court of Appeals of Arizona, Division 2, Department A1991)
- State v. Velasco, 799 P.2d 821 (Supreme Court of Arizona1990)
- Johnson v. Tucson City Court, 751 P.2d 600 (Court of Appeals of Arizona, Division 2, Department A1988)
- Mongan v. Pima County Superior Court, 715 P.2d 764 (Court of Appeals of Arizona, Division 2, Department A1985)
- Amos v. Bowen, 693 P.2d 979 (Court of Appeals of Arizona, Division 21984)
- Cain v. City Court of City of Tucson, 659 P.2d 654 (Court of Appeals of Arizona, Division 21982)
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- "Aggressive Defense of the Accused Impaired Driver" I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XIX, XX, XXI, XXII, XXIII, XIV, Arizona Attorney's for Criminal Justice
- National College of DUI Defense (NCDD), Harvard, 2006
- Arizona Public Defenders Association (APDA), 2006 - Present
- "DUI", IV, XV, XVI, XVI, XVII, Arizona State University College of Law
- "DUI Extravaganza", Maricopa County Bar Association, Summer - Winter 2001
- "DUI", Maricopa County Bar Association, 2000
- "DUI - Drugs"; "Going to Trial"; DUI Break out; DUI Today's issues, Tomorrow's practice, Maricopa County Public Defenders Office, 2001
- Pima County Bar Association
- "CLE By The Sea", State Bar of Arizona, 1999
- "What's New with DUI", State Bar of Arizona, 1999 - 2001
- "What's New with DUI", State Bar of Arizona, 2006 - 2010
- "DUI" iii-iv, State of Arizona Judicial Conference
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National College for DUI Defense
- National District Attorney's Association
- Arizona Attorney's for Criminal Justice, 1997 - 2001
- Board of Directors
- Arizona Attorney's for Criminal Justice
- Chairman, DUI Committee
- Past Employment Positions:
- Pima County, Attorney, 1971
- Tucson City, Prosecutor, 1971 - 1975
- Ancillary Businesses:
- Registered Lobbyist, Arizona Attorney's for Criminal Justice